Saturday, just before his owner was trapped in a smoke-filled bedroom until firefighters arrived, a brave dog was credited with alerting him to a fire in their Pennsylvania home.
According to KDKA, Waddy Moses was unaware that a fire had broken out in his New Castle residence. Diego, his puppy, looked up at him and barked while he was in the bathroom. Moses knew something wasn’t right. The hallway was filled with smoke when he looked out the door.
As Diego and Moses tried to flee, Moses tried to hold onto Diego’s collar. However, Diego broke free and broke into one of the bedrooms amid the thick smoke. Diego stayed behind as Moses left the burning house.
Moses’ first thought when he got outside was to save his dog.
“I told my neighbor to get a ladder and yelled at him. Moses stated to KDKA, “I put it up on a second-story roof, broke the windows, tried to enter, and there was smoke everywhere.”
Moses felt helpless because he could not locate his best friend.
Moses stated to the television station, “I thought I’d lost him.”
Moses probably couldn’t have imagined this loss because just two months earlier, he had lost his beloved dog Reo to cancer. Moses went to the Beaver County Humane Society where he found Diego after Reo passed away. Moses knew he had to adopt Diego as soon as he met him because KDKA said he looked like Reo.
Diego was lying on the floor of one of the bedrooms when the firefighters arrived. As soon as they got the puppy outside, they started giving him oxygen to help him get over the smoke. Diego awoke after a few frantic minutes. KDKA reported that the dog was still alive, albeit a little wobbly on his feet.
Moses stated to KDKA, “Everything else can be replaced.” My dog is fine. That alone is sufficient.”